About The San Francisco Mint
Rich in history and aesthetics, this Greek Revival masterpiece accommodates everything from VIP corporate parties, galas, and grand weddings in the heart of downtown San Francisco. Only minutes away from the Moscone Center, it’s been renovated to accommodate modern functions without losing any of its historical grandeur. With 100,000 square feet of ballrooms, gold vaults, and gaslight chandeliers, its ambience guarantees a vibe that will take you back to a more regal time.
The San Francisco Mint began operation in 1874 during the California Gold Rush. During this time, The San Francisco Mint turn $4 Billion worth of gold into coins.
Also known as “The Granite Lady”, The San Francisco Mint was designed by architect Alfred B. Mullett. Mullett designed The Mint in the style of Greek Revival. The building was constructed in the shape of the letter ‘E’ and was built around a central courtyard which featured a well. The San Francisco Mint operated from 1874 to 1937, and was introduced as a historical landmark in 1961 and a California historical landmark in 1974.
On April 18, 1906, a large earthquake struck the San Francisco Bay Area. This 7.9 magnitude quake, which struck 296 miles north of the infamous San Andres Fault, lasted 20-25 seconds and was about 5 miles deep. Though it was centered in the Bay Area, this quake was felt from Oregon to Los Angeles.
The 1906 quake cause a fire to break out at the San Francisco Mint. Though there was significant cosmetic damage to the exterior of The Mint, the building remained intact, being saved primarily by the buildings shape and courtyard well. At the time of the quake and fire, The San Francisco Mint held $300 Million, which was one-third of the country’s gold reserves. It was the only building left standing in miles.