The Jenner Inn has been operating continuously, in a quiet, sleepy little way, since Mr. A.B. Davis erected a lumber mill in 1904. The tiny hamlet was christened "Jenner by the Sea", and a hotel/post office was built to accommodate the anticipated bustle of a booming town.
The mill thrived for ten years, supplying lumber to rebuild Santa Rosa and the San Francisco Bay Area following the great earthquake of 1906.In 1914 Mr. Davis died and his son and heir closed the mill (and probably went off to war). During this time the hamlet developed into a village, with the building of a school house and perhaps 50 dwellings. Seven of those dwellings are now part of the Jenner Inn.